Thursday, January 22, 2009

The flooding story

Yesterday I posted a pic of my (seemingly) angelic children. My sister made a comment about them flooding the house, which now has a few people curious. So this is what happened.




A few days into the new year, while my parents and two sisters were visiting, my sisters and I decided to host a dinner party in honour of my dad who turned 60 in October (Bloukous and I were unable to be with him for the occasion). The three of us created quite a riot in the kitchen, with every conceivable pot and roasting dish filled with bubbling and sizzling food of all colours, shapes and sizes and in varying degrees of readiness. At the same time we were consuming copious amounts of wine and generally creating 7 types of chaos whilst having an immense amount of fun.
Around 7 o'clock my son wondered into the kitchen and I mentioned, in passing, that they should probably start getting ready for their bath. My husband was in charge of the bath routine for the evening, so I didn't pay the matter any further attention.
Anyway, to make a long story short - about 45 minutes later, when my husband finally decided to go run that bath, he discovered that the bathroom was under water and that the water had started to run down the passage, into our bedroom where it soaked half the carpet (wall-to-wall carpets, yay). I heard the commotion and ran off to investigate, having no idea what was going on, only to step into a big puddle of water, lose my footing and spectacularly land on my ass (sorry, but to put it more mildly would not do the story justice). Fortunately, I narrowly escaped breaking my neck, coccyx and 43 other body parts. Apparently, my pair of angels ran off to run their own bath after their mom with her big mouth mentioned something about a bath, but did not follow up with any action. They turned the tap on as far as it would go and then disappeared, probably finding something more interesting to do (as they do). When the s@#$ hit the fan and I called them in for questioning, they ran like hell and hid under the bed. I couldn't help but laugh! Good thing I already had some wine!
I went back to the kitchen (much safer) while poor Henk and Bloukous' significant other mopped up the mess.
Moral of the story? If mother says it time for a bath, then mother must leave everything and go bath those kids - or face the consequences...

6 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh no. Say it ain't so!

I'm sitting here just shaking my head (and shamelessly giggling). Hey wait - NO PICTURE of that? Just kidding!

Ann said...

Good job you have warm weather to dry everything out ...lol. What a nightmare!! It will be one story to save for when they are older !!....lol

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

I am laughing my backside (see, I don't say ass, oh, I just did) off. This sounds like something my two will do. I tend to run the bath and then go sit by the pc while they play a bit. Same result though. Water all over.

Marcelle said...

LOL....NOOOOOOOOOOOO - am waiting to hear this sort of story about my grandchildren...

Love the photo of the tap!!!!!! I have no idea how you to it girl.

Anonymous said...

Hehe love it... thankfully my 2 haven't done that yet

Nellie said...

I know, I know, I should't laugh! But, your description of the scene was just too hilarious!

What a story you have to tell when they have children of their own!

Have a great day,
B:-)